Rice is a nice, tangy dish you can
serve on any festive occasion.
This is an easy recipe and doesn't take very long to make if you have
cooked rice ready.
It keeps well, and is a good vegetarian, flavored rice, perfect
for picnics and road trips. This is an easy rice cooker or pressure
Cooking Time: 35
minutes (including time for cooking rice)
- 2 cups rice (jasmine or other non-sticky rice)
- 1/4 cup lemon (or lime) juice
- 6 tsp vegetable oil
powder (hing), a pinch
- Turmeric powder, a pinch
- 2 tsp chana dal (split bengal gram)
- 1 tsp urad dal (optional)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 4-5 small, whole red chillies
- 5-6 green chillies, finely chopped
- 10-12 cashews
- 7-8 curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Cook the rice in a rice
cooker or pressure
with 4 cups of water. Let the rice cool.
- Heat oil in a small pan and add asafoetida, chana
dal, and cashews and fry for a few seconds.
- Add mustard seeds, green chillies, and whole red
- When the mustard seeds start to pop, add curry
leaves and turmeric
- Add this seasoning to the cooked rice. Add salt
and lemon juice, and mix well using a plastic spatula.
- Serve hot or cold, with pappadums
Add the lemon juice only after the rice is cool; otherwise, the lemon
rice will taste bitter.
About | Contact
Stay in the loop!
Sign up for free ezine and get your FREE 1-week Menu Plan!