In the heat of summer, mango rice - tangy and hot, tastes delicious.
This is an easy recipe and doesn't take very long to make if you have
cooked rice ready.
Made with green mango, this dish keeps well, and is a good vegetarian,
flavored rice, perfect
for picnics and road trips.
Cooking Time: 35
minutes (including time for cooking rice)
- 2 cups rice (jasmine or other non-sticky rice)
- 3 cups grated green mango
- 6 tsp vegetable oil
powder (hing), a pinch
- Turmeric powder, a pinch
- 2 tsp chana dal (split bengal gram, i.e. yellow
- 1 tsp urad dal (optional)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 4-5 small, whole red chillies
- 5-6 green chillies, finely chopped
- 10-12 cashews
- 7-8 curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- Cook the rice in a rice
cooker or pressure
with 4 cups of water. Let the rice cool.
- Heat oil in a small pan and add asafoetida, chana
dal, and cashews and fry for a few seconds.
- Add mustard seeds, green chillies, and whole red
- When the mustard seeds start to pop, add curry
leaves and turmeric
- Add this seasoning to the cooked rice. Add salt
and grated mango, and mix well using a plastic spatula.
- Serve the mango rice with pappadums or
About | Contact
Stay in the loop!
Sign up for free ezine and get your FREE 1-week Menu Plan!